Sunday, May 4, 2008

Green Tee

LP is negative... = )

Saturday was Gianni's 4th day of chemo (cycle 6) and the NBTF walk ("Angel Adventure"). Tony and I divided and ultimately conquered - Bruno and I went to the walk and Gianni and Daddy went to the LPCH day hospital.

I was so very proud of Bruno, he completed the 5K (just over 3 miles) walk, even after an hour of milling the fairgrounds (including a bouncy house and balloon contortions clown), with no complaints.

There were literally thousands of people in attendance - it was so uplifing to see. You - my family, friends, and colleagues (and your family, friends, and colleagues) are AMAZING. We raised nearly $5,000, and needless to say I was blown away by your generosity and support. My initial goal was $500 - powers of 10 are unspeakably grand.

Thank you.

The NBTF provided a silent auction, raffle, afore mentioned bouncy house and clown, food, and a few local celebrity speakers. It was a carnival-like atmosphere dominated by people, well, like us. My intentions were to first, raise money and awareness for childhood brain tumors, and second, go to the walk and meet people with the same interests and shared experiences. Once I got there however, goal two evaporated - I was semi-dumb struck and unable to strike up a conversation with one single person. Those of you who know me well are scratching your heads . . . "Karen . . . unable to strike up a conversation with a complete stranger...? Nonsense." It was everything I could do to keep an eye on Bruno and not crumble onto a bench and sob. Unexplainable (other than some maniacal twist of fate that has my “28-day woman-cycle” corresponding exactly to Gianni’s 28-day treatment cycle - when things heat up around our house . . . they really heat up). I guess I still have a bit of the "deer caught in the headlights" syndrome - even though we are "doing it" I still don't see how people "do it". Everyone seemed so positive, hopeful, strong, and full of grace. Even though our family is running a gauntlet - I know how lucky we've been. Regardless, I am happy we went, proud of the money we raised, and will definitely support this event in the future.

All participants were given white or yellow t-shirts with the NTBF logo; Survivors wore green t-shirts. So many people affected by brain tumors . . . so few green shirts. We are going to get one of those green shirts.

Enough about me. Gianni is doing well, she looks a bit tired and pale (a transfusion is surely imminent) but is holding her own. I am trying to brace our family for, well you know (“eff n enn”). The Carboplatin is a very close cousin of Cisplatin, and that drug really knocks her around a bit. The steroids are kicking in so her normally sweet and compliant nature (I laugh to myself as I type that) is masked a wee bit. She wants all kinds of weird stuff . . . and boy does she want it NOW!!!!! Bruno is incredibly sweet to her and has been exceptionally careful about his germs.

We went grocery shopping today to provide for a steroid-quenching smorgasbord lunch. We had green beans (must be cold and from a can), drinking yogurt (must be pink; Bruno must drink purple – not pink), macaroni and cheese (little bowl noodles – not tubes), raisins, catchup, crackers (square, not round), and milk (in the blue cup – not pink).

Whose running this show anyway?!?

Smorgasbord