Friday, December 7, 2007

In and out

This week has blown by us so fast! Just a quick update today.

Last Tuesday Gianni had her Broviac catheter placed - a big port placed in her chest to allow access for the chemotherapy drugs.

It was a long day, we arrived at 5:30 am, surgery at 7:30, a few other odds and ends and we were sent home ( = ) ) around 6:00 that evening.

The Broviac is an impressive piece of hardware, but she seems to be tolerating it okay. It is my job to now care for this contraption (back to the "new paradigm"). This is my greatest pleasure because if I can do the maintenance it means she can be at home instead of the hospital.

She also had a diagnostic lumbar puncture to verify that the cancer has not spread to her spine. We are still awaiting the results of this test.

Her treatment will most likely begin next week.

Bruno continues to support his little sister in the best way possible - - treating her exactly the way he always has. He keeps asking me, "How may days, I mean exactly, before Gianni gets better? Like 7, or 4, or 16?"

I like those choices!